Sunday, December 18, 2011

Mai Ka

Once upon a time I had a mighty grape of a car. Her name was Carl. Carl the Car. She was the sweetest drop of purple rain I've ever driven. She was the car I received as a high schooler and she lasted me a little over eight years. She was a faithful ride, quirks & all. But alas, our time together is no more...

The day she died, that fateful December day exactly a year ago, I was on my way to a Soup & Bread Fest with friends (with my West African Peanut Soup in tow... see previous post to understand my affections for this soup). I was at a stop sign and right as I lifted my foot from the brake the transmission went out. Forever. But for some odd reason, I felt okay. I think I just knew it was a long time coming... and I didn't cry. I merely sat there... stuck at a fourway stop... cars honking at me... and I wasn't upset. The time had come. So after the initial shock, and a couple dudes coming to my window and asking me what my dealio was, we got moving. They helped push my car to a more convenient location and I carried on with my night. A friend picked me up and I brought my pot of love to join the others for the wintery festivities.

(This is Carl the day after she died, I raided her of all the trinkets and toys I had stored in her over the years. This is where she died and this is where she remained... until the tow truck took her to a better place)

Now, I'm not saying it was a fun experience to lose Carl. Not at all. I did have my moment of tears in the days to come. But at the very moment she died, I felt a sense of peace. Is that weird? Perhaps. But you see my life with Carl was a thing of the past. No, I never dealt drugs or transported illegal weapons in her. She was a rather good car... very fitting for me. She was purple for crying out loud! But just 'cause something is good for a season doesn't mean it's meant for you for forever. Saying goodbye to Carl was almost like in The Lion King when Rafiki looked at the grown up picture of Simba and declared "It is time!". When Carl died, it was like Rafiki painted a mane on the lion cub-ishness of my transportation and told me to move on.

Sometimes, I feel like we wait for things to be in order before we're ready to move on. But I think there are times when we just need to let go before we can even have a glimpse of what is to come. And when that new thing comes, I can guarantee you it's not going to be a bed of roses forever and always. Let's get back to the story of my transport (or lack there of at this point in the plot line)...

When Carl died, I knew I had to find a replacement. However a couple weeks after all this happening, I ended up in South Korea for a month, which was actually a nice break from the stress of searching. But of course the moment I returned, the search was back on... full force. Tears and all. I can be extremely a little dramatic at times, so when I was having a difficult time finding a new car... I was less than fun to be around in my "moments". Until one day...

I got a call about a silver little cutie pie of a car that fit my requirements. I saw her, and decided she was mine. So I named her "Mai Ka" (like a mix between the name "Micah" 'cause I've always liked that name, and when someone says "hey, that's my caaaa!!")

Now the relationship between me and Mai Ka hasn't been smooth sailing by any means, but it works. And while I could do without all of the speed bumps we've faced together, she's what I need for this time of my life. I couldn't have predicted that I'd meet Mai Ka at the time I did, and I couldn't have foreseen the immediate struggle we'd go through (we've had several accidents in the short time we've been together), but somehow this addition of Mai Ka in my life came right when I needed her most and she's still here.

How long will Mai Ka & I be driving buddies? I can't say for sure... but I am learning that seasons are just that. A season... so I will embrace Mai Ka for this season, however long it may last and together we'll ride like the wind!!

No comments:

Post a Comment