Saturday, October 29, 2011

Comfort By The Bowl

Yesterday evening I polished off my favorite soup... West African Peanut Soup! It was the perfect, warm, hug-your-insides-until-you-smile soup for a rainy, fall day... and it was a contender in our community's comfort food challenge a few days ago. While it didn't take home the grand title of ultimate comfort food (the people at these food challenges can COOK!! See my friend Carissa's award winning recipe for Green Chicken Enchilada Lasagna), I'm certain it will forever remain a go-to for me when it comes to comfort food.

(dear soupy doo, I heart you very much)

What it did earn me was the Storyteller Spirit Award and well... for this reason alone I post this blog. And now, ladies and gents... I give you... my story of comfort (I hope to make you all cry by the end of this post... so grab a tissue)...

Comfort food isn't about getting as much butter into your body as possible... it's about love on a plate. I am a firm believer that food is a love language. It is my love language. So while I appreciate, admire and truly enjoy fine dining, I find that a home-cooked, love-infused meal has the ability to surpass any hundred dollar dinner!

I first became acquainted with West African Peanut Soup a little over a year ago at one of my favorite food places here in Portland. I was on my way to a rehearsal and I wanted something quick and simple. The woman at the register recommended the soup and, being an easy to please eater, I ordered a bowl to go. While waiting for others to arrive to get out music on, I sat in my car and began to eat. I stopped. I stared. I grabbed some focaccia bread and dipped it in for another bite. What. The. Delicious?! I ate a little more and had to stop again. I grabbed my journal, and started to write! Yes, it's true. I wrote a journal entry about soup! I had to. It was just so perfect. I even used the words "comfort food" in my description.

(this is real, people! I wrote about soup... SOUP!!)

After finishing my soup, I went to rehearsal. But I couldn't keep quiet about my dinner... I had to share my souper experience! The following evening I went to a Bible study and ended up talking about this ridiculous soup even more. I couldn't stop thinking about it... it was so delicious to me!

After leaving Bible study, I heard a voice from the depths of my stomach cry out "Make the soup! Make the soup!!" So before making it home, I stopped by the grocery store and grabbed anything and everything that I thought would match the flavor I experienced the evening before. I let my ingredients hang tight for a half a day longer while I went to work (my plan of action simmering in my foodie brain all day, of course). That night, two days after first contact, I created my own interpretation of the best soup ever! Over time it has undergone experimentation and modification and turned into a bowl of perfection.

And, with love, I have prepared and shared my West African Peanut Soup with people I take a strong liking to. It's just too good not to! This pot of love has made its appearance during many an occasion... whether it's a large family holiday fest or a best friend weekend. This soup will always be eaten when I am with the people I love... and I find comfort in that!

All that's left to do is share my recipe (straight from my cookbook and heart) and I will achieve the fullness of joy that only comes from sharing this soup with... the WORLD!!

West African Peanut Soup

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
2 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
2-4 teaspoon cayenne (or however much you can handle)
1 tablespoon pepper
1 carrot, grated
6 roma tomatoes, diced
2 to 3 yams or sweet potatoes
6 to 8 cups vegetable stock (water could work too) 
1/2 cup peanut butter
squeeze of half a lemonsalt to taste
cilantro for garnish 

My Method of Madness:
In a pot, cook onion at medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant. Add carrots and peppers. Cook for a few minutes until softened. 

Add tomatoes and let cook down (about five to ten minutes). Add potatoes and stock; bring to a boil and simmer on medium-low for about 20 minutes. Add peanut butter and stir until combined (this really helps thicken the deal).

Continue to simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are very super soft and it’s creamy & delicious (the longer it cooks, the thicker it gets)… and in this case, thicker = better! Once you've reached desired thickness, take a potato masher and mash away, but leave some chunks for pops of sweetness and texture (this isn't meant to be baby food, but it very well could be!). Stir in some salt and lemon juice to desired taste. 

Ladle into a bowl and top with cilantro (if you want even more creaminess, you can add a dollop of sour cream or yogurt too). Eat & fall in love with West African Peanut Soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment