Saturday, December 17, 2011

Let It Simma'

Have you ever looked at a recipe that sounds delightful right up until the step that says something along the lines of "continue to cook, stirring frequently"? I do everything in my power to avoid such a step in the cooking process. I will conduct an intense google search to find a good alternative. But the truth is, there's only one way that leads to a delicious dulce de leche, silky smooth pudding or luxuriously thick béchamel. And that way, my friends, is the way of the simmer.

When I make lemon curd, I stand by the stove (whisk in hand) for quite a while before it's just right. And by just right, I mean spreadablely thick with just the right amount of temptressness to make you want to eat it straight from the container.

(I didn't make this, but I want to eat it right now)

But for every success, I've had many a failure. I've had plenty of experience making lemon curd where it's turned out absolutely wrong. I've taken it off the heat too soon and it's super soupy. I've resisted the constant stirring and it ends up a big ol' lumpy loo. Or worse... burnt bits sprinkled throughout! Yea, gross! I've turned up the heat to speed things along, only to create an unidentifiable flubbery object. I've cooked it too long and it becomes like paste. And lemon paste belongs on a child's church craft, not in a fruit tart. See the difference? It's gotz ta simma', yo.

How often do we rush the simmer of our lives? There's a grand richness added to us when we go through the heat of life with constant stirring. It's not something we can or should avoid. It's a part of life. Now, I'm not saying it's the most comfortable situation to be in. Goodness, I would much rather just be chilling in the chocolate-drawer than be cooking away for who knows how long! But the result of this process is worth it. Simmering gives substance to what was once watery and unappetizing. It takes time... it takes patience.

So when you're (and I'm talking to me too!) going through the fire, remember it's going to be alright. And in the end, you'll be even better than the center of a cream puff!

No comments:

Post a Comment