Saturday, December 24, 2011

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

During this time of year I can't help but think about Mary... you know, Mary the mother of Jesus! I know every parent thinks their child is perfect... but to be the mother of the Son of God?! I wonder what it must have felt like.

Of course pregnancy is not something I am familiar with, but neither was Mary before that angel of the Lord shared some special news with her. It's funny, 'cause it's usually the other way around. The mother is typically the one that makes that announcement. But hey, there's nothing traditional of how this all went down!

I'm sure she felt opposing emotions. She might have had a mix of being excited/scared/proud/doubtful/ready to party/worried and every other emotion in between.

I was talking to one of my sisters about this yesterday. If that same thing happened in our time, I don't think I'd believe Mary when she told me she was pregnant without... you know. I just wouldn't believe her! I'd be like "Mmm hmmm... sure. God made you pregnant. 'Cause He does that all the time right Mary girl?? It's okay. God will forgive you and make this situation work out for His plan." My pride and my holier-than-thou mentality would be in full force. When all the while it's His plan from the start!! Well, shame on me! How dare I think I know better than God's way!?

But thank the Lord for grace. His grace and mercy can be seen all throughout this story. And it's beautiful. Still I can't help but place myself in Mary's thought life. She was carrying more than just her baby... she was carrying the baby. The One that the world had been waiting for. The One that would change the entire world and bring redemption. Perhaps she was thinking...

Why am I so afraid? How can I doubt the Name?
I feel You in me, though with my eyes I can't see...
The promise through the years, grace and mercy now are here
This love is growing more. Each day I trust You, my Lord.
You're the King of the world... the Rock of ages.
You're the One, the Messiah, Savior of all.
Love come down as a babe, born blameless and perfect
Forever remain my glorious God most high!

The doubt, fear, excitement and joy that Mary felt... I believe we may feel to a degree. Each day we must trust that what we go through is for a greater purpose. And while we have moments of worry, we know that love has come and because of it... we are saved! Though Jesus came down to earth as a babe, He has been and always will be our God most high. Let's celebrate love come down!

No comments:

Post a Comment