Wednesday, December 28, 2011

No American January

I never knew January 2011 in America. But that's okay... because... I was on the other side of the world!! A year ago I boarded a plane and headed to South Korea.

I was part of a team of Portlanders, a Californian, an East Coaster and a Illinoisan and we were commissioned to teach English to elementary and middle school students during winter English camps. It was a time of stretching and growth. Of breaking and bonding. And it was a fitting way to start this year of thoughtful transience.

We had a number of duties during our time abroad, including...



Yes, this happened and it was a pleasant surprise to be on a team that was capable of such a harmonious blend. What are the chances?

During my time in So Ko... I experienced a reunion (with a family who hosted me in 2007 in a town a few hours from where I was this time), sickness (for a few weeks... of all sorts... and I'll leave it at that! It was gross), encouragement, opportunities & obstacles. It was such a beautiful thing and I am forever grateful for the chance to have done this with such a great group of people.

One of the highlights was learning from the people on my team. Each person brought  a necessary element to our purpose. The group couldn't have been better.  I came home challenged and inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment