Thursday, June 27, 2013

Grass is Always Greener and Eyes Are Always Teenier

One day when I was in first grade, my teacher gathered me and my class around her rocking chair. Her goal was to tell us something she liked about each and every one of us.

She went around, student by student, giving out kind words to us. I don't remember much of what she said, except for the words spoken to my friends Felicia, Sophia & me.

She came to Felicia (who was an adorably hyper girl) and said "I just love your squeaky little voice!"

I thought that my teacher was so right. Felicia's voice was super cute and squeaky. She got such a good compliment!

She got to Sophia (who was a calm, sweet girl that happened to be of Asian decent) and said "Your eyes are so cute and tiny! I love them!"

Oh dang, my teacher was dead on! Sophia's eyes were the cutest. I remember squinting a little at that point in an effort to have cute eyes too.

She then came to me and goes "Now you are funny!"

What?! Seriously?? I'm funny? That's what you have for me?!! What about my eyes? And I kid you not for the next week or so I squinted in class as often as I could. 'Cause I wanted cute eyes dangnabit!

Fast forward to being old. Aka today.

I'm not hilarious... and I don't think I'm a comedian. But I think a sense of humor is good. And it's now clear to me that my teacher saying I'm funny was, in fact, a compliment I should've embraced rather than brushed off with hopes of eye-shrinkage.

And it turns out that big eyes are kind of a big deal. Now don't roll your eyes at me... I don't think I'm all that with my big ol' eyes. The point of this tale is that we, as humans, are quick to overlook the goodness we already have. I know, for me at least, I see so much more beauty in things apart from myself. It is so easy to appreciate others. Then it's like the moment I see myself, some weird filter taints my perspective. I know it. Yet I still do it. So funny. And sad.

If 20-something me could go back in time and have a heart to heart with first grade me, you bet your buns I would!

No comments:

Post a Comment