Saturday, November 12, 2011

Oh Crepe!

I've literally had a crepe three weekends in a row. I know! What the crepe?! The first was with two lovely ladies at a yummy creperie on 23rd. The second was with two new friends at the carts at the Saturday market (on Sunday... yea I know, what?). The third was this morning with a sweet peach of a friend at Chez Machin. All three were pretty much a delight!



I mean come on, what's not to love about a crepe?! It's the perfect ratio of starch to filling. And I just love the fillings... oh the possibilities! Savory... sweet... veggie... meat. That rhymed. It's neat how something with the same "shell" can taste so different when the insides are changed up a bit here and there. A dollop of creme fraiche turns it into a luscious treat. A sprinkle of feta takes you to the mediterranean. Really, I could go on... however I'll spare you (but, just know, that in my head I'm still going).

I was pondering the crepe and all it's goodness. And God spoke to me.

If you look at a crepe (pre-filling) they all are the same. They're thin little pancakes made from the simplest ingredients... cooked to perfection by a watchful maker. Now let's just say all plated & filled crepes came unadorned. Well then, in such case they all look the same from a distance. But once you cut into them and take a bite, you see what they're made of. I imagine crepes have the capability of tasting gross too. There are not many foods that I dislike, but what if I filled a crepe with mayonaise, mustard & jam? It might look pretty with all the bright colors happening, but the moment you sink your chompers into that... oh man. And no, this is not an Iron Chef Challenge to see how good you can make those things taste when combined. Just take it for what it is. Here's a hint... it's gross.

I think humans are a lot like crepes. We're born into this creperie of a world. But as we grow, we're each filled with our own unique fillings. We're all walking around, doing our thing, living our lives. We experience things that shape us. Not every situation is in our control, but at the same time our reactions are! These reactions to what we live through produces fruit in us. These are the things that make us either a savory cheese filled wonder, a hearty bite of goodness, a berry sweet treat... or a mayo-mustard jam of disgust. Our "filling" is what gives us our flava'... and we either taste good... or the alternative. But trust me when I say that there is hope for the MMJ crepe out there... 'cause there's always the possibility of doctoring & transforming any mess of ingredients to make it much more palatable!

Yup. We're totally like crepes!

No comments:

Post a Comment